About Me

My photo
I am so glad you have stumbled upon my little blog :) My name is Sister Jessica Mae Turley, and I am a Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving in Washington D.C., Preaching in American Sign Language! I Love the gospel of Jesus Christ and how it applies to my life every single day in many different ways. Hopefully you gain something from my adventures :) Please feel free to share this blog anywhere you'd like :)

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The 11 Month Journey - Part 1

So I moved up to Washington and less than a week after moving in and settling in I had job interviews left and right. My plan was to Nanny for the little bit I was there and save up for the mission. I went to my first one, interviewing with the Nixon family. I met them and was honestly overwhelmed. I had never been in such a structured home before. But I was very confident in my ability to be their Nanny so I jumped in feet first. I met Wendy, the mother, and I felt we had hit it off. I felt so comfortable with her and I just wanted to be there with her and the kids. She asked me how long I would be staying in Washington and I paused. I wanted and needed this job so badly. I stupidly told her that I was pretty flexible, that ideally I would only be here until June, when my Brother-in-law was expected back, but I could extend it as long as she needed me. She then asked me to come back next week so she could observe me some more with the kids. As the next week passed by and I was meeting all sorts of new families, what I had told Wendy about my time frame had haunted me.

Of course I didn't want to be here for any longer than I needed to. I wanted to go on a mission. I wanted to get back home. I didn't know anyone here, I didn't belong here. I had gone to a YSA ward that Sunday and not a single person said a word to me. Now, I don't entirely blame them. I am actually quite shy when I don't know anyone. I came in late because I was lost, and then it took me about ten minutes to figure out that they don't start with Sacrament Meeting, they end with it so I was walking around aimlessly searching for a gospel doctrine class. When i finally found it I slipped in the back and sat alone. Didn't make any comments (if you know me at all, it is very rare that I won't make ANY comments during a class) and didn't introduce myself in the next class either. I have never felt so out of place in my life. And I couldn't figure out why. All of this excitement to meet new people and start a new life for myself but I was feeling so alone and unmotivated. I was also bogged down with what I had told Wendy. I knew I had to tell her what my real plan was but I so desperately needed a job. I prayed long and hard that Sunday. For peace, and mostly courage to be able to confront her and be honest about my intentions.

That week when I went to interview again with Wendy, the topic my time came up. I had knots in my stomach but I told her straight up, I need to go on a mission, so I am planning on leaving as soon as I can. She then realized that I wouldn't be a fit and we said our goodbyes. It was hard, I was really hoping that by telling her the truth, she would be ok with it somehow and make it work. But I knew I had done the right thing and I had many other families interested in hiring me.

The next night I get an email, around 11:00 PM, from Wendy. She says that she hasn't been able to stop thinking about me and that she really wants me to work for her. We emailed back and forth for a little bit, and then she asked if I could commit to One year, or at least through the summer. I thought about it and realized that wouldn't be horrible so I said yes. And she offered me the job right there, in the middle of the night, over email. I accepted and started training with their Nanny that week.

Now I won't say much about the job because it's not what this blog is for. But I grew to love those boys so much, and also be irritated beyond belief with them. However, it was one of the hardest things to do, leaving those boys behind to come back to Arizona. I think about them every day, all these simple little things remind me of them. That was one of the hardest, most challenging and humbling jobs I have ever had.

After attending the YSA ward two more times, someone finally talked to me and she pointed out that there was a branch much closer to me. So she gave me some more information and then after that I began attending the Olympia YSA Branch.

I have never fit anywhere as well as I did in that branch. It was the most welcoming environment I have experienced and I will always treasure my time there. It was now about November and everything was starting to fall into place. Maybe, just maybe, things were going to work out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment