About Me

My photo
I am so glad you have stumbled upon my little blog :) My name is Sister Jessica Mae Turley, and I am a Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving in Washington D.C., Preaching in American Sign Language! I Love the gospel of Jesus Christ and how it applies to my life every single day in many different ways. Hopefully you gain something from my adventures :) Please feel free to share this blog anywhere you'd like :)

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The WHY of the Mission

SO... It is finally actually happening.. Hopefully. I have an interview in about two hours with my stake President to finally submit the papers. I am now 15 lbs down from where I started a month ago. It feels good, but I know I could have done a lot more. But oh well!

Anyway, as I have been going through trial after trial, setback after setback, I have had a lot of time to ponder the question, "Why do you want to serve a mission?". It has become a source of great strength and patience in my life, especially in this last month when I have questioned time and time again, why on earth am I putting myself through this torture, this waiting game?? In the past I would have answered this question with; "Because the mission is an amazing thing" or "Because I know that Heavenly Father wants me to" or "Because I love missionary work". All of which are great answers... but recently, I think I found the BEST answer for myself that I could come up with.

I want to serve a mission because I have a responsibility to take this gospel to those who don't have it. I have been blessed beyond compare because of the Atonement in my life and I know that Heavenly Father loves ALL of His children, and needs ME to go get them and show them the way back.

I want to serve a mission because I love God, I love His gospel, I love His work, and just as Christ did, I promised once before to come to Earth and do His work, not my own.

"We came into the world for a great purpose, the same as Jesus, our elder brother, to do the will and works of our Father; in this there is peace, joy and happiness, an increase of wisdom, knowledge and the power of God; outside of this are no promised blessings. Thus let us devote ourselves to righteousness, help each and all to be better and happier; do good to all and evil to none; honor God and obey His Priesthood; cultivate and preserve an enlightened conscience and follow the Holy Spirit..." - Teachings of Lorenzo Snow

The great thing about this is that it doesn't talk specifically about Missionary Work. If the only thing that qualified as doing God's will was serving a mission then there would be a lot of disobedient people in the world. There are so many ways that we can go about doing God's will and each and every one of us has our own way, a specific purpose that He needs us to fulfill. So don't feel bad when you feel like a mission isn't for you. It's not for everyone. But God's will is. It always will be.

I personally am so overcome with joy when I think about being on a mission. I have been given so many wonderful blessings, so many opportunities to bless the lives of others by working with our Heavenly Father.

This post won't be very long, I am a little anxious right now. But I hope that I made my point. If you are considering serving a mission, waiting to report, or currently serving, I would encourage you to figure out the real reason you want to go/went on a mission. And if that reason isn't the best it could be, then change it, and allow it to work in you day after day, until you are out there for the best reason possible.


Luke 22:42 - "...nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

Until next time!!

Jessie Mae








No comments:

Post a Comment